5 Best Old Norse Translator Apps for Android & iOS
If you are keen on Scandinavian culture, you will probably be interested in Old Norse. However, it is hard to learn and translate Old Norse yourself.
This is why you will need a good assistant to help you in solving such a problem. In this list, you will see the best apps to translate words and sentences from English into Old Norse and vice versa.
By the way, if you are interested in Japan, you should check 9 Best Kanji Apps. It will help you to read Japanese scripts.
There are great versions for iOS, as well as Google Play.
LP Old Norse
The first application is fully devoted to Old Norse. In this game, you will be able to solve two problems: study Old Norse, as well as translate words.
The application has a minimalist design and friendly interface. There are no extra functions that can confuse you.
Let’s see what you can do in LP Old Norse for free:
- Study the vocabulary. The game is divided into 335 levels that will gradually increase the difficulty of these words. Even if you have already passed a level, you can still go back to it.
- All the words are divided into categories. You can translate and learn nouns, verbs, pronouns, and other things. This makes finding the right word much easier.
- Go through vocabulary test. This is the best way of learning new words. Most of tests are multiple-choice, which makes them a bit harder.
The app doesn’t collect any type of data about you. What’s more, you don’t even need to create an account, you can just open the app and enjoy this cool translator.
This nice app is quite small. You will need 1.2 MB to install LP Old Norse. What’s more, you also don’t have to be connected to the Internet.
Please note the app isn’t free. You will have to pay 3.99$ to use it. Unfortunately, there is no free trial.
LP Old Norse is available for iOS, as well as Android users.
You may also like: 11 Best Morse Code Apps
Learn Old Norse
Even though this app is more about learning, you can still use it as a translator. However, it can also help you to learn some fun facts and read articles about Old Norse.
So let’s turn to functions. How can you learn the language of stories and myths with the help of this application?
- Learn sounds. This is a truly important step you can take as it’s not enough to learn the word, you also have to pronounce it well.
- Go from one lesson to another. The game is divided into levels or lessons. We recommend learning them one by one, without skipping material. This will ensure you don’t miss a fairly important rule.
- Use flashcards. This method proved its efficiency a big number of times. No wonder why so many students keep using it while learning languages and other disciplines.
- Earn scores. The app has a built-in rating system, which can add new motivation and inspire you.
- Play fun games. This is a relaxing and effective way to learn new words and then repeat them. For instance, there can be a crossword. Another cool game is based on fulfilling the gaps in the words you have learned.
You will need up to 40 MB to install this application and make sure it works well. The app can also function without any connection to the Internet.
The app collects no data about you. You can get Learn Old Norse on the App Store or Google play.
Write in Runic
If you are interested in the Old Norse culture and ancient languages, you will definitely like this one! In this app, you can teach yourself how to write in runic.
This is a self-paced course, meaning you need no teachers or mentors. Having an app is enough.
This is what you can do in Write in Runic:
- Learn different languages that are a part of the runic family. The app supports Elder Futhark runes, Medieval runes, and many others. And new languages are being added all the time!
- Translate words. You can also have access to the translation of the words you will write. Yes, this can’t be called a typical translator but it is still a pretty useful function.
- Do exercises. This will help you to make sure that your writing skills are getting better every time you train yourself. What’s more, you can always go back and do the same exercises once again if you don’t feel confident.
The app is praised by its users. They love it for an impressive number of tools. What is more, the design is also pretty smart.
By the way, if you are keen on creating texts and writing speeches, you will probably like 10 Free paraphrasing tools.
However, the app isn’t free. You will need to pay $4.99 to install it on the App Store or Google Play.There is no trial period.
English to Old Norse
If you are looking for a vocabulary you might use wherever you want, then you have to look at English to Old Norse. The app is straightforward in terms of its interface so you won’t have any difficulties.
English to Old Norse is more about translating than learning.
Let’s take a look at the best features provided by English to Old Norse:
- Search for the word you need to translate. Make sure you use the right form of the world as it can affect the result.
- Check the pronunciation. This is vitally important to pronounce the words properly. The best way is to see the transcription of the Old Norse word.
However, there is a pretty serious disadvantage. The app often crashes when you try opening the translator. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.
What is more, many users tend to complain that too many words aren’t included in the application. Still, the translator is being enriched all the time.
You can download the application on Google Play at no cost.
In this application, you can find a translation to a single word but not for a full sentence. This is also a great tool to learn Old Norse.
The app has a nice UI that you can understand once you open it.
You can do a wide variety of things with the help of this brilliant app:
- Read texts and books practicing the language. There is a bilingual mode enabling you to have both English and Norse words on the same screen. Such a method is one of the best to learn a new language quickly.
- Look for new words. You will often see the words you don’t know yet. To learn them, just tap on the words and hold your finger on the screen. Then you will be redirected to Wiktionary, where all the definitions are stored.
- Turn on a Norse keyboard. Sometimes you would like to write some words yourself. In this case, you have to use the right keyboard.
- Listen to the right pronunciation. Most of the words have an audio guide on how to pronounce them correctly. Make sure you listen to it.
Another nice thing about the game is its size. You will need a bit more than 50 MB to install it on your device.
However, many users tend to complain about a huge number of ads. Indeed, they appear almost every time you tap on a screen.
The translator is available on Google Play for free.
You can also check: 11 Best Apps for Voice Translation