When you go to a restaurant or to a shop with a big group of people and make a big purchase, splitting the bill can turn out to be a real nightmare. It is hard to calculate the price for each of you. It takes time and energy and can even lead to a conflict.
However, you don’t need to do it manually anymore. Today we have collected the best applications to split the bill between a group of people. Most of them are free of charge and available for Android, as well as iOS users.
By the way, if you often forget to pay for your bills, you should read 13 Bill Reminder Apps for Android & iOS.
Are you looking for a multifunctional and simple application? Venmo is the best choice if you want to have a big set of tools to work with money. Splitting the bill is one of the app’s primary functions.
Venmo is a popular and reliable app. It is being used by 70 billion people from all around the world.
Now let’s look at the best features provided by Venmo:
- Send and receive sums of money at the click of a button. You can add some text to your payment so that the person knows about the purpose of this very payment.
- Activate Venmo credit card. This option is a bit difficult to perform but it worth it! You can get up to 3% cashback when you buy some of the products and services.
- Split the bills. This is the function that must be the most interesting for you. With Venmo, you can easily divide the sums of money in a few seconds.
- If you have a business, be it a small or a big one, you can also enjoy Venmo. Spend money, earn money, and make your business prosper.
- You can integrate Venmo with many other services, such as Uber or Zola. It will save you time and even money because of discounts and cashback.
The app will ask you for a big number of permissions, such as contacts, usage info, location, and many other details about you. However, the developer claims it won’t be misused, so you are 100% safe.
Please note that the app requires at least 366 MB of phone memory. This is one of the biggest apps on the list.
Venmo doesn’t support any languages, it has only an English version.
The app is available for free on Google Play, as well as App Store.
You may also like: 9 Best Online Payments Apps without Credit/Debit Cards
Splittr – Expense Splitting
Are you tired of endless bill splitting? If yes, it’s high time you delegated this boring routine to a good application!
Splittr is considered to be one of the best applications to split the expenses. Users rate it very highly, which is proven by thousands of positive comments and reviews.
Why so many people admire this service? Well, it’s all about its powerful tools and functions. Let’s look at the most striking features of Splittr:
- Control all your finances. This is a vitally important step if you want to keep your money in order. The best function is creating categories. It will allow you to see how exactly you spend your money. When you analyze the result, you will be surprised! What is more, this option is great if you want to cut the expenses you spend on restaurants and other entertainment.
- The app supports all types of currency, including cryptocurrency. If you work with investments, this will come in quite handy.
- You can split bills at the click of a button. This feature will be good when you stay in the same hotel room with someone, rent a house with your neighbors, or go to a restaurant with a big company of friends. You don’t need to perform complicated arithmetical calculations manually, just let Splittr work instead of you. In fact, the app works like a calculator but it memorizes all the orders you and your friends made and then divides the sum and tells each of your friends how much they have to pay.
- The app is super easy to use. To start controlling your money, just download Splittr. You don’t need to create an account or choose any type of subscription. To add your friends, just choose them in your contacts. To collaborate in Splittr, they need to download it on their phones too.
- It doesn’t matter if you are out of the Internet zone because Splittr perfectly works offline. In this case, all set of functions remains available.
- The interface of the app is friendly to users. You will understand what to do without any instructions and guides thanks to its intuitive interface.
- Statistics tracker. Even though you don’t see this process, the app tracks all of your expenses and analyzes them, providing you with detailed results. To view the statistics, go to the settings. You can easily share it with your friends.
- Are you afraid of losing your data? Forget about this fear! It will never happen thanks to automatic backup. If something happens, all of your groups will still be there. If the app crashes or has any technical problems, your data will be stored on the servers of Splittr. So you can’t fully lose your data if you don’t delete it yourself manually.
- To analyze the information about your money, you will need reports. Splittr can create a PDF or CVS report for you. These reports can be exported from the app and sent to other people via email or messengers.
Should you face any problems, feel free to contact technical support. The developer will fix the bug with the next update.
Splittr is a relatively small app, it won’t need more than 43 MB of your phone memory.
The app is free with some in-app purchases but all the basic stuff is available at no cost.
You can download Splittr on App Store and Google Play.
Here comes another app that is aimed at splitting expenses between you and your friends or family members. It’s time to forget about the “who owes who” argument.
Splitwise is a very popular application. Millions of people from different corners of the planet prefer to use this service, thinking it’s reliable and simple. The developers claim that Splitwise was initially created to make your life less stressed.
What can you use the Splitwise app for? And why is it so famous?
- If you rent a flat or a house with a friend, Splitwise will be a perfect solution. You don’t have to calculate your payments manually. This service will put an end to all the conflicts connected with money.
- If you are about to go on a world journey with a big company, this app will also be a great tool. It is too hard to keep all the details in mind, as you will need to buy tickets for a plane and rent an apartment, not saying about different types of entertainment. So this is a good way to reduce stress and conflicts.
- If you are a couple and you tend to split bills, Splitwise is a must when you go to a restaurant or have a nice trip.
- When you go to have lunch with your colleagues, Splitwise will come in quite handy because in this case, you will need to split the expenses.
How to use the service efficiently?
- Create groups for different splitting situations. You can create as many groups as you need.
- Expenses tracker. If you often split the bills with the same group of people, you can create a kind of recurring situation. The tracker will control the queue of payments. It will tell you who needs to pay next.
- The app is truly universal. You can use it on your smartphone, tablet, personal computer, no matter what operating system it runs on, be it Windows, macOS, or even Linux. If you don’t want to download the app, feel free to use the web version of the service. All the functions remain the same.
- Splitwise can also help you make debt counting much easier. This is not a pleasant topic to discuss but sometimes we need to ask for money, and it’s vitally important not to forget to give the money back.
- Leave comments below the expenses. It will make communication easier. You can chat right in the app without any calls and SMS.
- The app is easily customizable. You can change the background color or add your favorite photo.
- Splitwise supports up to seven languages, such as English, Spanish, Italian, and many others.
The app has a pretty high rating on the App Store – 4.4 out of 5. All the basic stuff is free of charge. However, if you need more, you can always go for in-app purchases.
The developer claims he doesn’t use your data and won’t give it to others, so you can fully trust the application.
Splitwise is available for iOS, as well as Android users.
Splid – Split Group Bills
Now let’s look at one of the most universal applications to split your expenses and bills. The main function of the app is to make your life easier and reduce the level of stress you have.
Imagine you don’t have to argue about how much you need to pay.
Let’s analyze why it is so good and popular:
- The coolest thing is that the app works both online and offline. If you aren’t connected to the Internet, you will still have access to all the functions provided by the application.
- The app works with all the type of currencies. You can pay in dollars and your friend can add euros. There will be no problem, all the conversions will be done automatically, there is no need to think about it.
- Clear and simple interface. You can use the app right after the download, without spending time on learning. There are no guides and instructions but we recommend you won’t need them. Thanks to an intuitive interface.
- There is no need to sign up, you can start using the service at once. You don’t need to give the app any personal information.
- Analyze the information about your money, your payments, and your debts. You can create a report and then export it. It will be a PDF file that can be sent by email or messengers. Don’t neglect this powerful tool, you will easily analyze what you spend your money on.
The app collects some data about you – it will need your usage data and financial info. Give it all the permissions it will ask for, it’s safe.
You don’t need to have a lot of free phone memory – 38 MB will be enough.
Splid can be downloaded for free on Google Play, as well as App Store.
Tab – The Simple Bill Splitter
Here is one of the simplest services you can possibly find on the Internet. If you are looking for a small elegant application packed with cool functions, you should take a look at Tab.
How to use the application? It is super easy, just follow these steps:
- Download the app and give it all the permissions it asks for. The most important one is access to your camera, without it, you can’t take a photo of your receipt, which is crucial for the next step.
- Have a nice time at a cafe or a restaurant and then take a photo of your receipt. Then let each of your friends pick what they ate and drunk. If one of the dishes was divided between two or more people, they just need to pick it all together, and Tab will split the price automatically.
- Is it someone’s birthday? Perfect, you can split the bill among all of you but this very person. It will be a great gift.
- Tab will store the information about your past split bills. This will come in quite handy if you would like to analyze how you spent your money in the past. However, the app doesn’t give any statistics or reports, you’ll have to do this manually.
Here are the best features of the app:
- Bill Splitter. It works very fast and efficiently. The app will analyze your receipt and tell you how much you need to pay. There is no need to memorize anything and argue with your friends about the money. All the dull work will be performed by the app. What you need to do is to enjoy yourself at the restaurant or hotel.
- The app is compatible with many other services. For instance, you can tie your bank card to Tab and the payments will be done automatically. To enjoy such a function, you need to give the app some extra permissions but it’s safe. You can integrate Tab with Venmo or any other application.
- Don’t think about the tips and taxes, it’s boring, isn’t it? Let Tab deal with it. The app will take all the tips into account and calculate the price for each of you and your friends.
- Tab supports both English and Spanish. According to the developers, there are many languages to be added later.
The application is available with all of its functions at no cost. There are no ads at all so you won’t be irritated and distracted by them.
You can get it now on Google Play and App Store.
Settle Up – Group Expenses
Have you ever quarreled with your friends trying to split the bill? If yes, it’s high time you stopped doing this! Calculating figures is a challenge even if you have a calculator simply because it is tiring.
What can you use the app for? There is a big set of situations when the application can be a good tool.
- When you go to a restaurant or a cafe with a big number of people, you can’t do without splitting the bill.
- If you plan a trip with your family, loved ones, friends, or colleagues, the app will also be a good decision. It will help you avoid spending time and energy thinking about who owes who.
- If you want to go to a cafe with your colleagues, you can also enjoy splitting the bill automatically.
Why Settle Up is widely used and respected by millions of users from all over the world?
- There is no need to create an account or choose a subscription, just use the service right out of the box.
- To use the app, it’s enough for only one person to have it on phone. Others will just choose the dishes they ate and the app will count how much they have to pay.
- View the statistics on each of your receipts or each of your members. You can also ask for a detailed report that can be imported as a CSV file or sent by email.
- If you don’t want others to edit the split bills, you can turn the read-only mode on. In this case, you will be the only person to correct the file.
- Are you afraid of losing it all? You don’t have to because all the split bills will be stored on the servers of the app. So you can always see the past bills and analyze them later. This is a good option if you don’t know who is next to pay.
- The app is available for everyone, no matter which type of device you use, be it a smartphone, a tablet, or your personal computer. There is also a web version of Settle Up, it has similar functions. To get the app for your computer, go to Microsoft Store.
These are the basic features of Settle Up. However, if you need more, you can always go premium. In this case, there will be no ads. What is more, you can add photos to the receipts you uploaded.
What is more, you will be able to create recurring transactions, which is a very useful function if you often go to the same restaurant, for example. The premium version of the app will also make the service highly customizable. You will be able to use a wide range of background colors.
One month of premium subscription will cost you 1.49$. However, if you often go to restaurants or choose trips with your friends, it might be logical to buy a lifetime subscription, which will cost you 19.99$.
You can download the app for free on the App Store and Google Play.
Expensify – Receipts & Expenses
Here is one of the best applications to track your budget and split bills. Expensify is a simple application that has a great number of impressive options inside.
Expensify has a huge set of various awards, such as App Partner of the Year and Editor’s Choice, proving an app is a professional tool you can fully rely on.
How to use the app? Just follow these little steps:
- Download the app and give it all the permissions. If you are worried about your privacy, you can skip some of them but you must give access to your camera to take photos of your receipts from the restaurants and cafes.
- Snap a photo of your receipt and Expensify will analyze it. It can divide the expenses equally among all of you. However, if there is a person who wants to pay only for what he ordered, it’s not a problem, just give the app information about it.
- Wait for the app to calculate how much you need to pay and enjoy the event!
Here are the best functions of the applications you will definitely like:
- Automatic payments with your bank card. This option is often neglected by most of the users but it will save you time. To use it, give Expensify access to the bank app and tie one of your cards to it.
- Create the report on one of your past payments. You can customize the report so that it contains all the data you want to analyze. The report can contain a few payments as well. This is the best tool to find out how much you spend on each of the events.
- Your information is coded and encrypted multiple times so you can forget about the possibility of your data leaking out of the app.
- Do you need to use different types of currency? It’s ok, pay with what you like. You can pay for your items with dollars and your friend can do it with euros, rubles, or even cryptocurrency.
- The app is compatible with other services, such as Venmo, for example. You can export data from one app to another, saving your time and energy.
The app is rated 4.7 out of 5 on App Store, meaning it is worth using. Its rating is also proven by a big number of positive reviews.
By the way, if you are worried about your budget and money, make sure you read 7 Best Envelope Budgeting Apps for Android & iOS.
One of the possible downsides of the app is its size, you will need at least 87 MB of phone memory.
You can get Expensify on Google Play or App Store for free.
Plates by Splitwise
Here is a very small and at the same time efficient app. It was created by the developers of Splitwise, meaning it is made by professionals.
It is the best tool to split bills at the restaurant or cafe. Users appreciate the app for its simplicity and nice design.
How does it work? Well, it is super easy, look:
- You download the app from the App Store.
- Create plates for each of your friends. In the app, it will look like an animated plate where you can put different items, dragging them, and putting them inside.
- You can create up to ten plates at a time. If there are more than ten guests, you will have to calculate their payments manually, there is no way to create more than ten.
- All the taxes and tips will be calculated automatically, then added to the final payment, and divided between all of you.
- If you don’t feel like wasting precious time, you can just add the most important items and equally divide the rest of the dishes among all the members of your group.
- The application is 100% free with no ads.
The app is also admired for its little size, it won’t require more than 3 MB.
Unfortunately, only iOS users can enjoy Plates by Splitwise. You can get the app on the App Store.
If you are an Android user and you are looking for a simple and small application, we recommend Split Expenses. This is a good reliable service to divide the payment with friends or colleagues at the restaurant.
To download Split Expenses, you will need only 28 MB of your phone memory. The app won’t ask for a big number of permissions but you will have to give access to your camera and your bank app if you’d like to tie your bank card and pay online.
Why the app is so cool and loved by thousands of Android users?
- You don’t need to create an account and give detailed information about yourself. What is more, there is no need for everyone to download the app, it’s enough for only one person to have Split Expenses.
- You can create an event and put all the receipts there. It’s a great way to keep all the info about the payments in one place. The app will store this data in case you would like to review it and analyze it later.
- The app can equally split expenses, it will be done automatically. If you want to split the payments in your own way, feel free to do it manually.
- If you like to keep everything in order, Split Expenses allows you to do it. Categorize the items you will pay for, it will help you have a clear view of the event, and how much you need to pay at the end of the day. You can also send these categorized items to your friends so that they know about the approximate budget they will need for an event.
- If one friend pays for another or they share the same item, it’s not a problem. The app will tell them who owes who so there is no need to memorize such an information.
- To share the information about payments, just export it from the app and send by email, messenger, or any social network.
The app was downloaded from Google Play more than 10000 times and it is rated 4.5 out of 5.
Almost all the options are available right after the download at no cost. Should you need more, you can always go for in-app purchases, one item will cost you 0.99$.
The ads keep the content free but they are not no frequent to appear.
Unfortunately, there is no iOS version, only Android users can enjoy the wide range of functions of this elegant service.
Sesterce – Share Expenses
Let’s take a look at another good application that can be used for bills splitting in almost every situation.
Sesterce is a rapidly developing service that is being updated and enhanced regularly. This is a good example of working with feedback efficiently. They monitor the comments all the time, trying to figure out what needs to be done to make the app ideal.
Let’s look at the best features provided by Sesterce:
- It is universal. You can use it on a smartphone or tablet (in this case, just download the app) or on your personal computer. What is more, Sesterce is great for almost any kind of situation, be it a restaurant, a trip with your friends, or sharing a room with other people.
- It gives you a good platform for collaboration. Create a group and add all the members so that all of you can control the process. To join the group, each of the members needs to download the app on their device or use the web version of Sesterce. This might seem to be a downside as not everyone will be happy to download another app. Still, the number of options you will get is truly impressive, it worth it.
- The app is anonymous. Not everybody wants to reveal they identity online, which is a normal practice. Sesterce won’t ask for any data, it won’t even need your email to sign you up. So your privacy will be kept! You can even use your nickname instead of a real name.
- All the info about your payments will be secure thanks to an opportunity to set a complicated password. We recommend that you use capital letters and figures and choose a long password. It’s better to change your password regularly.
- Sesterce works offline pretty well. When you are out of the Internet, you can keep splitting bills. All the set of function remains available.
- The app will be the best decision if you are planning to travel with your friends. It will allow you to predict how much you need to pay for each category that build up a trip, such as your tickets, hotel, various types of entertainment and stuff.
- Sesterce will store all the data you gave it. Should you need to see the detailed information of your past payments, you can always do it. What is more, you can ask for a report on each of the events and export it later to send via messengers or email.
- Create recurring payments if you have a kind of routine that repeats every week or every month. This will come in handy for couples who often visit the same restaurant.
- Categorize the items you will divide. If you lack the categories provided by the app, you can always add your own ones, customizing the app according to your needs.
- View statistics on your past payments to analyze your budget. This is a powerful tool for those who struggle to understand where they money go.
The app is free of charge. There are no distracting ads so you can just concentrate on what really matters for you.
Sesterce is available for Android users. You can get it now on Google Play.
The last app is famous for its minimalist design and powerful set of functions. You can download the app and start using it at once. You won’t need to spend time learning how to use the service thanks to its intuitive interface.
This application can come in quite handy if you are planning to have a party, go for a great trip with your friends, or simply go to a restaurant.
So if you want to forget about calculating different sums of money and deciding who needs to pay next.
Let’s review the coolest features of Split Bills:
- Create a group of friends. This will allow all of them to see what’s going on with the receipts and finances. They will be able to add comments below each of the payments. To add a new member to the group, you will need to create a link and send it to him or her.
- You can split the expense among your group of friends equally. If you want to split it manually, it’s not a problem. Let each of your friends pick an item and the app will calculate how much they need to pay.
- Split Expenses is quite small. You will need only 23 MB of your phone memory.
The developers constantly upgrade the application, trying to make it better with every single update. Even though this service is relatively new, you will be surprised with a great range of tools provided by Split Bills.
You can get the app on Google Play for free. There will be some ads that keep the content free for you.
You can also check: 7 Safe Digital Wallet Apps in 2021 (Android & iOS)