More and more people are using their smartphones for reading books, newspapers, or just text files. Most of us prefer to read the texts without using any tools, just by scanning the texts with their eyes.
However, not everybody likes it. Some people prefer listening to reading due to many reasons. For doing this, you need another person to read for you or a good application.
By the way, if you are interested in good apps that are aimed at converting texts to speech, make sure you check 11 Best Text to Speech Apps for Android & iOS 2020.
This is why we decided to create a list of audio reader applications that can work with PDF-files.
The apps are available for Android, as well as for iOS users. All of them are free or they have a free trial period.
It is a popular app that can convert text to speech. This application works with many file types, including PDF and images.
This is not the only function of the Narrator’s voice. Here are the basic features:
- Many signup and login methods. You can log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or Apple. You can use your email as well.
- Gentle voices that will read any type of text for you. They are not robot-like but very natural sounding. You can hardly tell the narrator’s voice from the human one.
- Light and dark themes. Customize the app according to your needs.
- The application works offline if you have previously downloaded the document you want to be read. In this case, you don’t need to be connected to the Internet.
- The Narrator’s voice supports many languages, including English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- You can save the audio file and share it with your friends later.
However, there are some disadvantages. For example, the app is quite big – almost 58 MB. This is more than the average app of this category. However, its function can make up for its big size.
What is more, the app has many ads. Sometimes they are quite irritating. If you want to remove them, you will have to pay 4.99$.
There are also some in-app purchases. If you want to get premium functions, you should buy it. You can pay for the functions using coins. 10 coins will cost you 1.99$, 35 coins – 6.99$.
Even though there are many applications that can convert text to audio, the Narrator’s Voice is considered to be the best. Its rating on the App Store is 4.8 out of 5.
You can get the app on Google Play, as well on the App Store for free.
You may also like: 9 Free Apps to Add Watermark to PDF filesback to menu ↑
ClaroPDF – Image to PDF Reader
Here comes another audio reader app. It is a bit different. It is aimed at PDF files only, which means that all the functions are supposed to be more advanced and efficient.
This app is packed with many useful features and functions:
- Friendly and easy interface. You can use the app after the download, there is no need to read difficult instructions and complicated guides. You can start using the product at once, which saves you time.
- ClaroPDF is an extremely powerful tool. Not only can you listen to the PDF file, but you can also edit the file, adding new text or highlighting important pieces of information.
- Zoom. If you would like to look at the text more closely, feel free to zoom. Tap two times to zoom.
- You can easily manage your PDF files using the application. You can open your file right in the browser and start listening to it.
- Fullscreen mode is available. It will be a perfect solution for those people who use the app on their smartphones.
- If you are using an iPhone, you can easily sync the application with iCloud and save time and energy.
- Should you need to convert your audio file back to PDF, you can do it at a click of a button.
ClaroPDF is quite big, it is 87.4 MB. It is not surprising, though, as there are so many cool functions.
The application is free of charge. You can get it on the App Store, as well as on Google Play Market.
There are some in-app purchases. However, all the basic stuff remains free.
Aloud! – text to speech
If you don’t like reading or you are too tired to read yourself, here is a pretty good solution. Aloud! is a universal audio reader that can work with PDF, ePubs, RTF, or HTML.
When you feel too tired to read long texts, listen to the gentle voice of the app, and relax.
- The application supports a great number of languages: English, Spanish, German, French, and Japanese.
- You can choose any type of speed. Listen to the PDF file comfortably. There is no need to hurry up, enjoy your time.
- If you are too busy to listen without pauses, don’t worry. You can close the app at any time. It thoroughly tracks your listening progress. When you go back to the application, you can keep listening from the very place you stopped in.
- When you are browsing the Internet, you can save the articles you are interested in and listen to them later.
- Aloud is very safe and reliable. There are hardly any bugs or glitches, you can fully trust the system.
The Aloud app is free with ads. If you don’t want to put up with ads, you can always go premium. It will cost you 4.99$ only. There are also some in-app purchases if you would like to expand the number of functions available.
Unfortunately, this application can be downloaded from the App Store only.
back to menu ↑
Speech Central: Voice Reader
Here is one of the most popular and easy-to-use applications. This is a service that you can use on the go.
Today not everybody has the opportunity to read all the files. Sometimes you simply can not find enough time or energy to do it. It’s not a problem if you have a Speech Central on your phone.
Here are the key features you will like:
- The app supports up to 27 languages, including English, Spanish, German, and French.
- You can save the web pages you like and read or listen to them later. If your text is not from the Net, you can still listen to it. The app’s algorithm easily converts images, Docx, or PDF files into audio.
- It is also possible to listen to the photos you have made. To do it, take a photo on your smartphone and upload it to the app’s gallery. Then tap ‘listen’ and enjoy a gentle voice reading for you.
- Once you have created an audio file, you can download it on your device. Then you are free to do anything you want with the file. For example, it is possible to share it via email or social networks.
- If you would like to sync the app with Pocket, you can do it at a click of a button.
You shouldn’t worry about your data security. Even though the application collects information about you, your data won’t be stolen or given to another person or organization.
You have already read 50% of the article. If you are still here, you will probably like 15 Free PDF editor apps for Android & iOS.
Most of the functions are available for free. However, in this case, you’ll have to deal with ads. To remove them, go premium. It will cost 6.99$.
The only disadvantage is that the app is available for iOS users only.
back to menu ↑
Voice Aloud Reader
It’s time to take care of yourself! When you feel tired and stressed, don’t force yourself to read long and complicated texts. Let a good app do it for you.
One of the best options of Voice Aloud Reader is its friendly and simple user interface. You don’t need any instructions to understand how the app works.
You will probably like Voice Aloud Reader due to the wide range of functions available:
- The app works with practically all types of files: PDF, TXT, HTML pages, RTF, and OpenOffice docs.
- The function of Optical Character Recognition will ensure that the text will be extracted from the file and read for you.
- You can always share the audio file by clicking a button called ‘Share’. You can share via social networks or send your file by email.
- While you are browsing the Internet, you can add your favorite web pages and listen to them later. In this case, the app will analyze the content of the page and leave the text you need. The application algorithms will dismiss all the titles, menus, and other unimportant elements.
- You can use the app for reading eBooks too.
- Voice Aloud Reader supports various languages, including Chinese and Japanese.
- The app is very flexible and full of useful functions. You can always pause and resume the file, then you can go back to the place you stopped listening to the file.
- You are also allowed to change the speed of the audio file.
- You can set a timer. In this case, the app will stop reading in a few minutes or hours, it will depend on the timeout you set.
The app can perfectly work with other services. You can switch between apps but the audio file will keep playing. This is a very useful function if you like to do many things at the same time.
The developers are constantly improving their products, including this application. They are reading and replying to most of the comments.
You can get Voice Aloud Reader on Google Play Market for free. The application contains ads. However, they are not too frequent.
back to menu ↑
This app is considered to be a service for reading eBooks. However, it can also be used for listening to a PDF file and web pages.
However, it is not the only function available in the app. There are many other cool features:
- FullReader can work with ePub, txt, fb2, DjVu, Html, and PDF. You can be sure that the application will work efficiently with any type of document.
- The application has a very friendly interface. It is very intuitive and flexible.
- The easiest way to use all the functions of the app is to upload the files from your phone or tablet to the application. However, if you don’t want to use your device’s memory, you can sync the app with various cloud services, such as DropBox, Google Drive, or OneDrive.
- The application can be fully customized according to your needs. You can change the location of the toolbar, change settings, or any other details.
- FullReader has a built-in translator. If you have any words that you don’t understand, you don’t need to stop listening and start surfing the Internet. You can just tap on the word you want to translate.
- Create widgets and marks to customize the app according to your preferences.
- FullReader supports a big number of languages: English, French, German, Russian, Ukrainian, Spanish, Italian, and many others.
- The app supports MP3. It is not the primary function of the service but it can be quite useful if you love listening to music.
What is especially cool about FullReader is that you can edit all the files, highlighting the most important details.
There are light and dark themes as well. You can switch from one to another to make it more comfortable.
The app is rated 4.4 out of 5 on Google Play. FullReader is free of charge. The app’s functions remain free as long as there are ads.
Unfortunately, iOS users have no opportunity to download FullReader.
You can also check: 11 Best Digital Signature Apps for Android & iOS