If you often spend time outdoors, you have probably seen a plenty of trees. But can you identify them? Do you know which type they belong to?
By the way, if you are interested in collecting coins, you have to look at these coin identification apps by picture.
The good thing is that you don’t need to memorize everything, just delegate such a thing to a nice application. In this article, you will find options for iOS and Android users.
Forest Tree Identification
This is one of the best tree identification applications. It contains one of the richest databases of tree from all over the world.
The app has a simple interface that is clear at the first glance. The tool doesn’t work as a scanner. However, it may still help you to identify trees using a photo of their leaves.
Let’s see what you will get in the Forest Tree Identification:
- Learn more about trees that grow around you. The app collects the best articles about trees and the locations where you may find them.
- Identify trees instantly. To do it, take a photo of their leaves. Look at the leaf attentively. You need to consider its shape, color, and other details. Then set filters that will cut off the options that don’t correspond your search. THe identification might take long time as you need to do the sorting manually.
- The app can work offline. Even though not all the things remain available, most features will stay.
Forest Tree Identification is quite small. It needs less than 30 MB of memory.
Both Android and iOS users can install it on their devices.
You may also like: 9 Free Art Identification Apps
PlantSnap – identify plants
Here comes a great tool to scan plants and trees and find out which specie they belong to. To enjoy PlantSnap, make sure you give the app all the necessary permissions, especially the ones connected to your camera.
What can you do in the app? Let’s see:
- Identify trees in a few seconds. To do it, take a photo of a tree and let the app help you.
- Register in the app. This is a very important thing you can do. When you register in the app, the PlantSnap team plants one new tree. One simple action can make our world a better place, so den’t hesitate to create an account and sign in.
- The databases are enriched all the time. At the moment, there are over 600,000 plants and trees. The search also works fast.
These are the basic options. Any user can try them. If you want to see no ads and get premium features, you can go for a free trial.
PlantSnap is available on Google Play, as well as the App Store for free.
This is another tool that helps you to identify various plants and trees. The app has a rich database of plants, including wild ones and those growing in garden and homes.
Nature ID has a simple interface with a minimum number of buttons. But let’s look at the best options now:
- Identify trees by camera. To do it, just open the camera right from app and take a picture. All the rest will be done automatically. Once it finishes analyzing your photo, you will see the result on a screen.
- Read additional info about the tree you have recognized. There are many articles you may read and learn new info.
- Get new tree caring tips. If the tree you have identified has serious issues, the app can detect it and give you relevant recommendations. They are written in a straightforward style, enabling you to understand it even if you have no background in plants caring.
- Try Plant Journal. If you have trees and plants you need to care about, then this option is what you need. For instance, there is a watering alarm that will remind you of this important thing. What is more, you can easily track your plants health.
Nature ID is free with its basic options. If you need more, you will have to go premium.
By the way, if you need to identify plants by their leaf, make sure you check these best leaf identification apps.
The app will track some data about you, such as your purchases, usage data, contacts, and some other details.
To install the app, you will need about 80 MB of phone memory. This is quite small for such a big database of trees and plants.
You can get Nature ID on the App Store, as well as Google Play.
If your aim is to identify wood, not a full tree, then this app is what you need to try. It helps you to browse an extensive and cool database and find what you need.
The UI is controversial. Yes, it is pretty clear, but there can be some issues with navigation. It might take a long time to find what you need.
Here are the best features you will find in I.D. Wood:
- Learn more about wood types by reading various articles and watching images. There are useful links as well.
- Read cool tips about wood. If you need to choose a material for your home, these tips might come in handy.
- Try wood glossary. If you don’t know the meaning of some words and phrases, you need to check the wood glossary. It describes hard terms pretty easily.
To use the options, you need to take a photo of the wood you want to identify and then open the app. Unfortunately, you have to find the best match manually.
The good thing is that the database is truly impressive. All the material is divided into categories, enabling you to boost your search.
At the moment, I.D. Wood is available for iOS users only.
PictureThis – Plant Identifier
PctureThis is a modern app that offers users an extensive library with information about different plants and flowers.
This app allows you to find any flowers and plants, learn a lot of new and useful information about them, as well as view photos from different angles.
Artificial intelligence and modern technology allow you to recognize any plants and flowers as accurately as possible. Here are collected various photos of plants and flowers, which were made by users themselves around the world.
Also in the app, you can get useful tips and recommendations from professional gardeners for growing certain plants. The program also offers users a simple and straightforward interface, which makes it as user-friendly as possible.
Besides, you can also find like-minded people to socialize with on the app. There is a chat room for users through which you can communicate with other flower and plant lovers.
You can also share photos of plants and flowers yourself so that other users can learn something new and interesting for themselves. To recognize any plant, all you need to do is take a photo of it or add an already prepared photo to the app.
PlantNet Plant Identification
The PlantNet app is a unique tool for all those interested in flowers and plants. It offers a wide range of features that will help you recognize any plant and learn more useful information about it.
The app has a feature to identify plants using photos. Here, you can take a picture of a plant or a flower that you have found and the app will automatically identify its species, family, and other characteristics.
The program also gives you access to a lot of information about the plant you have found, which includes descriptions and images of different species. You can easily recognize with the camera or find through search the plant you need.
The app also allows you to learn useful tips on how to care for the plant. It also allows you to share your pictures, observations, and knowledge about plants with other users in the app itself.
Upload your pictures of plants, ask questions about them, discuss interesting findings, and get advice from experienced gardeners and botanists.
The CITESwoodID app is a special tool for identifying and describing certain types of wood. It aims to help identify 46 types of wood listed under the CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) like ebony, mahogany, and rosewood.
These woods are often used as timber or in making products. On top of that, the app has information on 34 other types of commercially traded woods that resemble the CITES-protected types.
This app has several useful features for those involved in the import and export of wood and wood products regulated by CITES. It’s also handy for schools teaching about wood and its features. The app allows identification of various CITES-protected types of wood (hard and softwood) using easy to see characteristics.
What is more, it has clear, colored illustrations of wood. It shows the wood in cross-sectional and lengthwise, natural size, views. It also provides detailed descriptions with quality, color illustrations of specific wood features.
Besides, the app also comes with a textbook. It includes definitions, explanations, procedures, and more, all relating to wood from a structural point of view. This is great for learning, especially for schools teaching wood science, and also for self-learners.
Wrapping it up, the CITESwoodID app holds value for professionals, students, and organizations active in wood science, commerce and rules. It holds a vast database with specific explanations and drawings, supporting correct identification of CITES-protected woods. Nevertheless, due to its specific use, it might have a restricted pull beyond these professional and learning circles.
You may also like: 9 Best Rock Identification Apps
Tree ID – British trees
The Tree ID – British Trees app is from Woodland Trust, UK’s leading woodland charity. It’s a tree ID tool for British trees. The main part of the app lets users identify various trees from the UK, even in different seasons. It uses tree parts like bark, branches, buds, leaves, flowers, and fruits for this. The app also has a detailed A-Z guide with pictures to help people learn about common British trees.
The app is also a great educational tool. It gives cool facts, stories, history, and tree uses, ranging from medicine to music. Designed for families, the app is easy to navigate. It’s filled with clear pictures and drawings for precise identification, and it shares fun tree facts.
Users can favorite identified trees and use a map to remember where they found them. The app can even identify tree types in various seasons, like spring, summer, fall, or winter, when trees don’t have leaves.
Tree ID – British Trees in a nutshell? It’s a great, easy-to-use tool to identify UK trees. You’ll find specific details and pictures for many different tree species. Your data is safe, as we keep updating the app to better your user experience and add more features.
One thing to keep in mind – the success of the tree ID tool might change based on how much the user knows and the unique features of the trees they’re looking at.